During October we promoted breast health at ikatan Day Spa by making Under Arm Detox kits which our clients could take home for a donation to a local Breast Cancer Charity. The Under Arm Detox kits were so popular and thank you for the generous donations.
I love how women support other women for a good cause and share information with each other for the good of others.
I had such great interest from women when sharing the information and recipe at ikatan Spa and through social media that I thought I should share the information again here.
In preparing the detox kits I researched a lot of information about clays, detoxing and how it relates to breast tissue and cancer. I am on the board of a local Breast Cancer Charity which is another reason I want to help others, as I understand what women go through with breast cancer and because we see first hand at ikatan Spa how many beautiful women and their families are effected by breast cancer.
Amongst a lot of technical research I also found the best recipe for a simple, practical underarm detox from Wellness Mama blog (who is a Mum in the USA with a wellness interest for everything she does for her family and friends) and her information and recipe is a great simplified explanation, which I have shared with you here.
One quick true story to show you how connected your body is…. my daughter put an “off the shelf” chemist hair colour in her hair when she was 20 years old. She called me and said ‘ Mum the colour I put on my hair has come out under my arms and also in a patch on my stomach near my belly button‘. I used to be a hairdresser and had never seen or heard of this but was well aware of the chemicals in that type of hair colour (as opposed to professional hairdressing hair colour) and as a Spa Therapist, also trained in Vodder Lymphatic Drainage,I knew that the toxic hair colour could only have caused this via transferring through the lymphatics. Efficient lymphatic but pretty scary stuff and one of the other reasons I have an interest in researching underarm detox, as my daughter, 12 years later, still has a stain on her skin like a birth mark!
To me, the story about my daughter (in this blog) is proof in itself how fast and invasive toxic chemicals can travel in our lymphatic system and why I want you to throw away toxic deodorants, do an under arm detox and buy a healthy deodorant.
Conventional deodorants and antiperspirants contain a variety of chemicals and additives. It takes something unnatural to block the body’s natural ability to sweat, and the chemical list in some deodorants is scary. Here are some of the ingredients found in deodorants.
- Aluminium– some evidence links aluminium to cancer and Alzheimer’s
- Phthalates– Endocrine disruptors that can cause hormone imbalance and even infertility
- Propylene glycol– antifreeze, additive in personal care products for the fact that it carries a risk of immunotoxicity and allergies.
- Formaldehyde- a known carcinogen, guess it kills the germs though.
- Parabens- Another hormone disruption have been found in biopsied tissue with breast cancer
- Antibacterial Substances- are endocrine disruptors and can negatively affect the immune system
Why is this a big deal? Ever gotten sick and had a lump in your neck or armpit? That is a lymph node and they are a major part of your immune system. Putting endocrine disruption chemicals directly on top of them is a great way to affect your hormones and suppress immune function.
The skin is the body’s largest organ and what touches our skin can easily enter our bloodstream. With skyrocketing rates of breast cancer, it would seem the only sensible thing to do is to avoid these chemicals until further research is done.
A great advantage to doing an armpit detox, besides that it helps speed up the natural deodorant adjustment period, is that it might help pull some of these chemicals out of the skin and tissue of the armpits. This can be especially helpful after years of conventional deodorant use.
How to Detox Your Arm Pits
- 1 tablespoon bentonite clay
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons of water (to get right consistency)
Mix all of the ingredients in a glass bowl (do not use metal!) with a wooden or non-metal spoon until it is about the consistency of sour cream.
- Spread in an even layer over the armpits and allow to sit for 5-20 minutes.
- I suggest starting slowly and working up to a longer period of time once you see how your body adjusts. If it hurts at all, remove immediately.
- This may cause some redness as it will increase blood-flow to the area, but it will go away quickly.
- Wash off in the shower or with a warm, wet washcloth.
- Repeat daily or as needed until under-arm odour goes away and natural deodorant is non-irritating.
Thanks to the Wellness Mama blog for sharing this information and recipe.
put your hand up for detoxing under arms and better breast health.
Katrina Thorpe – Day Spa Oracle
Owner of ikatan Spa